Friday, September 19, 2008

The 5 A's


Ahoy, me hearties! Today be International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day! (You can read last year’s post to find out exactly what it’s all about. Click on: International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day)

My friend, Captain “Boston” Dave, sent me some interesting YouTube links to help celebrate this important day.

First, check out The 5 A's

The 5 A’s are…

Ahoy! – "Hello!"
Avast! – "Listen to me!" It can also be used in a sense of surprise, kind of like "Check it out!" ["Look at that!"] or "No way!"
Aye! – "Yes!” or “Yes, I agree!”
Aye, aye! – "Yes, I'll do that straight away!”
Arrr! – (This one is often confused with "Arrrgh!” – the sound you make when you sit on your sword.) "Arrr!" can mean many things: "Yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." There are many more possible ways to use “Arrr!”

Next, sing along with "I'm a Pirate", the “official” Talk-Like-a-Pirate song.

If you find it hard to talk like a pirate, why don’t you use the The Talk-Like-a-Pirate Translator, another gift from the Captain.

This morning, I typed this message in the translator…

“Here's wishing everybody a happy Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day.

All the best from Be & Me!”

The translator came back with…

“Ahoy, har's wishin' e'erybody a happy Talk-like-a-pirate Day.

Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!”

Also, don’t forget to check out last year’s Be & Me pirate photos…

Be & Me Pirates (Page 1)

Be & Me Pirates (Page 2)

And speaking of pirates, Osaka’s number one foreign/Japanese-member improvisation comedy troupe, The Pirates of the Dotonbori, are having a show at Balabushkas, in “America Mura,” this Sunday, September 21st. Avast!
Ha! Ha! HArrrrrrrr!

Here there be monsters!

And speaking of monsters, did you know that International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day is the official holy day of The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? RAmen!

And finally, Shiver me timbers! The International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day Homepage!


No comments: