Thursday, September 16, 2010

The 5 A's



This Sunday, September 19th, is International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day. In the video above, Captain Slappy & Old Chumbucket (John Baur and Mark Summers -- the "pirate guys" who started the holiday many years ago) will teach you how to talk like a pirate.

Why?

Because it's fun!!!

The 5 A's are...

1)
Ahoy! – "Hello!"

2) Avast!"Listen to me!" It can also be used in a sense of surprise, kind of like "Check it out!" ["Look at that!"] or "No way!"

3) Aye!"Yes!” or “Yes, I agree!”

4) Aye, aye!"Yes, I'll do that straight away!”

5) Arrr! – This one is often confused with "Arrrgh!” – the sound you make when you sit on your sword. "Arrr!" can mean many things: "Yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made."
There are many more possible ways to use “Arrr!”

No comments: